Question:

From America OnLine:

My 14-year old daughter was diagnosed last year with Type 1 or three days, explaining the process of injecting, etc. After that point, my daughter has at times been ill which resulted in visits to our doctor. However, after the three initial mornings, the nurse has not been in contact whatsoever, offering no support or guidance. She has even refused to complete medication claim forms, stating that "This is a non-nursing duty."

Is this the norm? Where can I turn to for support? I would any advice or help that you could give me.

Answer:

This is not typical of the nurses in the pediatric programs I am familiar with. At our program, the nurses and dietitians take all phone calls (even sick calls) and then triage things we can't handle. If the nurse to whom you are referring is mainly hospital-based, and focuses on initial education only, her relationship with your physician may be different. I'd ask your doctor about it.

SS