Question:

From Pennsylvania, USA:

I'm a little upset after reading your answers to the questions submitted to you in the alternative therapy section. Why is it that doctors such as yourself are so quick to scoff at anything that isn't concocted in a lab and pumped into animals? Besides what if it is only a "placebo effect." What's wrong with a little mind over matter? When a person has a chronic disease like Diabetes, I believe all resources should be explored. Not just those endorsed by men in white coats bickering over who gets credit for what!

Answer:

You sound more than a little upset.

We all recognize the concerns, fears, and desires for a "quick fix" that people with chronic diseases like diabetes get. But looking at all the sad stories of shattered dreams and wasted money from people choosing to use snake oil instead of proven therapies has convinced me that quackery in diabetes does exist. And it's up to you, the patient (or the parent of the patient), to look closely at the documentation for the claims of the product: has the product been reviewed and approved by dispassionate authorities (like the US Food and Drug Administration) or is the data based only on testimonials from a very few "satisfied customers?"

I'd strongly suggest that you, and all our readers, consider reading the information that's posted at Quackwatch, "Your Guide to Health Fraud, Quackery, and Intelligent Decisionmaking." Quackwatch, Inc., is a nonprofit corporation whose purpose is to combat health-related frauds, myths, fads, and fallacies. Its activities include:

• Investigating questionable claims,
  • Answering inquiries,
  • Distributing reliable publications,
  • Reporting illegal marketing, and
  • Improving the quality of health information on the Internet.

WWQ, Medical Director, Children with Diabetes