From Tennessee, USA:

My four year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 19 months old. We just got his test results back from his last check up. They did a lipid profile on him as well as Hemoglobin A1C. His triglycerides were 480 mg/dl. They said I need to talk to the dietitian about reducing his saturated fat in his diet. We won't see her until October. What should I watch for on his food labels in the meantime? They all seem to have 2 grams or less of saturated fat per serving now. His Hemoglobin A1C was 9.7% which was acceptable for his age but still a little on the high side. How many grams of sugar are acceptable in the total number of carbohydrates?

It would be important to have a fasting lipid profile done, and to know what were the other values besides the triglycerides. If your child does have high lipids, then it would be important to have him evaluated by someone who is experienced in the care of children with high lipids.

In the meantime, I would recommend starting with a healthy diet. You could start with tommend starting with a healthy diet. You could start with the food pyramid to get more ideas for meal planning choices.

[Editor's comment: As mentioned, getting a fasting level of triglycerides is very important, as the triglycerides automatically go up after a meal, and the "normal ranges" that are listed for this test are based on "fasting" values. WWQ]