From Evansville, Indiana, USA:

Is bed-wetting for a 6 year old Type 1 typical, and could this be indicative of nocturnal high blood sugars? Fasting blood sugars can vary from high, low or normal and seems to have no bearing on whether his bed is dry. Prior to diagnosis 1 1/2 years ago; he never wet the bed. Should we begin testing nighttime levels and if so, what would be the optimal time to check if we eat dinner around 7 P.M. and snack around 9 P.M.? I guess we need to know when his dinner carbs and proteins are peaking to determine if his R and N doses should be changed.

I would appreciate hearing from others about similar experiences.

If your son had always wet the bed, then I would tell you to relax as this is quite common in six year old boys. Since you mentioned that he was usually dry before his diagnosis of diabetes, it would be worth working with your diabetes team to try to minimize overnight high blood sugars, as this may be the likely cause of his bedwetting. Significant low blood sugars can cause a loss of bladder control as well. I would also talk to your son's primary care team about making sure your son doesn't have a urinary tract infection as well.