From America OnLine:

I am interested in finding out how to receive a booklet or something that would tell me the average blood sugar ranges, so when I read my sugar I have a better understanding as to how and where I am that day with my sugars. Please let me know where I may obtain such a chart.

I will assume that you have Type 1 diabetes when I answer this question.

I usually tell my patients to aim for the blood sugars as close to the normal range as is safe and possible. Everybody will have different goals keeping in mind their age, medical status, capabilities, etc. For example it is extremely important to minimize hypoglycemia in very young children. Elderly people or those with certain medical problems may have different goals as well. People who have a difficult time sensing when they are low may choose to try to keep their blood sugars slightly higher. Hypoglycemia is often a limiting factor in determining what blood sugars you can strive for.

It would be best to meet with your doctor and hopefully a diabetes educator to set specific goals for you, and to help you understand how to make changes to get as close to your goal blood sugars as possible.