From Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA:

My primary-care physician no longer accepts my used needles. What is the best way to properly dispose of insulin needles? Who can I contact in my area?

It's a growing problem. It is very expensive to dispose of used needles; it has become prohibitively so for many hospitals and medical offices. Your local rubbish disposal company probably has a more cost-effective method; check with them about their rules (and about any city or state regulations).

There are some companies that offer mail-order disposal for about US$3 for a container full of syringes.

Also, see Syringe Disposal Program for more information.