From Kansas City, Missouri, USA:

When I test my blood sugar meter with test fluid for "low" (expected range 50-90) it always reads around 90. Does this mean my sugar may actually be lower than what the monitor shows? Hypoglycemic symptoms usually appear in low 80's. I am 42, female, Type 2, no pills, diagnosed two years ago.

If the control solution is within the expected range, the meter is probably okay, even if the results are usually at one end of the expected range. You could call the meter's manufacturer's 800 number if you want to doublecheck.

You may be experiencing the symptoms of low blood sugars when your sugars are actually normal (with values in the 80's) because the blood sugar is dropping at a rapid rate.

[Editor's comment: It is also possible that you might be having symptoms that you think are due to dropping blood sugar levels, without any relationship to your actual blood sugar level. This phenomenon has been called pseudohypoglycemia, and is probably due to release of the hormone called epinephrine because of stress. WWQ]