From Virginia, USA:

I am 20 years old, and was diagnosed as Type 1 on my 10th birthday. My grandfather has Type 2 Diabetes, and just yesterday my brother was diagnosed with Type 1. I hope to have children some day, and was wondering if there is an increased risk of my children developing diabetes (I read that the risk is about 2% for a diabetic mother) since I have so many relatives with diabetes.

Assuming that you marry someone who has no history of diabetes, the chances of your children developing diabetes is about 7% (i.e. it is a little higher when it is the father who has diabetes than when it is the mother). The possibility could be lower though depending on ethnic background and the genetic patterns in the part of the world that your family came from.

Nowadays you could look forward to being able to test a baby in infancy to see if they are at especial risk for Type 1 Diabetes and in the next few years it is quite possible that such infants will be able to be 'vaccinated' against the disorder. Even now there are the means to defer the onset of insulin dependence.

The fact that your own father has Type 2 Diabetes does not affect the probability for your children.

[Editor's Comment: For additional information, see The Risk of Developing Type 1 Diabetes. JSH]