From Medford, Oregon, USA:

My 10 year old son was diagnosed with diabetes one year ago. I am 35 years old and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism six weeks ago. Since these are both autoimmune diseases, is it common to have both in a family, and are his chances greater of developing hypothyroidism and mine of diabetes?

Hypothyroidism and diabetes are both autoimmune diseases and it is common to find both in a family. It is also relatively common for patients with diabetes to develop an underactive thyroid as well. In our clinic of 380 children, we have around 5-7 at any one time. The risk of you getting diabetes are comparably small.

[Editor's comment: we have answered other questions about thyroid disorders previously. WWQ]