Question:

From Pennsylvania, USA:

I am 15 and have had Type 1 Diabetes for three years. I have always maintained excellent blood sugar control, but soon after coming down with diabetes I began to experience severe digestive trouble. After coming out of the hospital, I was put on a high calorie diet and I suspect that having to eat all the time may have hurt me. I have perfected my diet greatly and only eat vegetables and some mild foods, now, but I am still just as sick. Have there been many other diabetics with similar problems and does this make sense to you?

Answer:

Yes, I have come across a few patients with non-specific digestive problems. Some have diarrhoea. The ideal diet contains more fibre than some patients were used to before diagnosis and I think this is part of the reason but you should discuss your symptoms with your diabetes doctor because occasionally other problems such as celiac disease can be associated with diabetes. You haven't had diabetes long enough to have problems such as a "lazy" gut.

Additional Comments from Dr. Lebinger:

If you are drinking more milk now than before you developed diabetes, it is also possible that you are having symptoms of lactose intolerance. This inability to the digest the sugar in milk (lactose) is not related to diabetes. As people get older, they often lose the ability to digest lactose because their intestines make less lactase, the enzyme necessary to digest lactose. If this is your problem, you can purchase milk which is pretreated with lactase, the enzyme necessary to digest lactose, or purchase lactase in caplets or drops to use with dairy products so that you can digest them. This is another possibility to discuss with your physician or dietitian.