[Editor's comment: This question was submitted to the Diabetes Team under false pretense by a representative of a firm that markets stabilized rice bran as a cure for diabetes. During a telephone conversation with this representative, he said that he was unaware that there were two types of diabetes and that he didn't know much about the disease itself. He does not have diabetes and does not use the product, therefore his assertion that rice bran extract "stabilized my blood sugar levels and has given me a lot more energy" is in fact false

Readers should be very wary of anyone who claims to have a miracle cure for any disease. For more information, see the discussion of Cyberquackery. JSH]

Question:

From Idaho, USA:

I have been taking a stabilized concentrated rice bran extract that has stabilized my blood sugar levels and has given me a lot more energy. Do you know anything about using rice bran to stabilize blood sugar levels? Is there anything that might be harmful in taking this product?

Answer:

This question was referred to David Mendosa for an answer:

Your question was referred to me because of the personal research that I have done on stabilized rice bran. Personally, I did not find that it had any effect on my blood glucose levels. However, there are so many variables that it's impossible to tell if that was an aberration or something that can be generally expected.

Soluble fiber, such as rice bran, can reasonably be expected to have a small beneficial effect on blood glucose levels in the recommended amounts. Other soluble fibers certainly do.

Until recently, rice bran has been little used, because it goes rancid so quickly. However, a company near Sacramento, California, called Food Extrusion Inc., has developed a process to stabilize it. According to experts at the USDA with whom I have discussed this, this company is the first one to find a way to stabilize rice bran.

Three or perhaps more companies market the stabilized rice bran that Food Extrusion produces. One of these companies -- Integris -- is a multi-level marketer that sells the product with a lot of unjustified hype. Integris calls it risotriene, but it is just stabilized rice bran. Integris also charges the most. Two other companies, Roberts & Clark, which sells the product in natural food stores, and VitaBran, which sells the product on the Web, had much better prices, at least the last time I looked, which was several months ago. Unfortunately, VitaBran also employs unwarranted hype.

In the amounts recommended by at least one vendor -- two tablespoons daily -- you should not expect to experience any negative side effects.

In conclusion, I don't think stabilized rice bran can hurt you. But after my personal trials I had to conclude -- sadly -- that it didn't help me. I'm glad that you feel that it has given you a lot more energy.

DM