From Malta, Europe:

Two weeks ago my son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. He takes 7 units of Monotard in the morning and three units of Monotard in the evening. His blood glucose level always seems to be below 3 mmols. Could it be that he has diabetes Type 1.5?

There is no "type 1.5" diabetes. Type 1 diabetes refers to high blood sugars due to insulin deficiency, usually, though not always caused by autoimmune destruction of the pancreas. Type 2 diabetes is high blood sugar caused primarily by resistance to the action of insulin.

Most young children develop Type 1 diabetes. Early in the course of the disease, there may be only partial insulin deficiency with low insulin requirements. Frequently after the diagnosis insulin requirements decrease due to temporary recovery of insulin production (the honeymoon or remission phase). If your son is having low blood sugars, you should speak to his doctor about decreasing his insulin dose.

[Editor's comment: We have answered a previous question about "Type One-and-a-half Diabetes." With the development of newer terminology, the term "Type One-and-a-half Diabetes" should, in my opinion, be totally unnecessary. WWQ]