Question:

Do the following glucose tolerance test results indicate a diagnosis of diabetes or would a further test be indicated:

Fasting glucose 109
30 minutes159
60 minutes215
120 minutes226
3 hours85

I've been diagnosed with hypoglycemia 3 times over the past 15 years after glucose tolerance tests and told to watch my diet, which I never paid any attention to. My doctor (after the above test) says I should be careful about eating refined sugars and that I might be predisposed toward diabetes but he didn't seem that worried about it. However, when I checked the results against a medical reference it seemed that a diagnosis of diabetes could be made from these results.

Answer:

Looks like diabetes according to current definitions: see Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes.

Hypoglycemia (a tendency for low blood sugar levels) can precede the development of hyperglycemia (high blood sugar, diabetes). If you also have a strong family history of diabetes, the diagnosis is even more likely.

You could have the test repeated, but I'd suggest you get started on home blood sugar monitoring, talk to a diabetes dietitian and get on a reasonable meal plan (and stick to it!), get regular exercise, and get to your ideal body weight.

WWQ

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.