From Adelaide, South Australia, Australia:

I'm 29 years old and been diabetic for 24 years. I was promised a cure 20 years ago. How close are scientists to a cure? I find it unfair when preventable diseases are given more funding than the world's biggest killer. Is there any hope for the near future?

I understand your frustration and I know that I say similar things to my patients. However, I genuinely think that things are changing pretty quickly with new technologies like genetic engineering. I would be very surprised if we don't treat diabetes differently -- e.g., with islet cell implants -- within 10 to 15 years. There is a great deal of money being spent on this research and diabetes is a priority for the World Health Organization.

You should review other webpages that discuss transplantation of the pancreas and other new research into a cure.