Question:

From Dallas, Texas, USA:

I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease diagnosed 10 years ago when I was 39. Last year, I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I understand these two diseases are related autoimmune disorders. I am taking two oral medications for the diabetes. I am well controlled with these diabetes medications. My Hba1c ranges from 6.2 - 6.5, and mean blood glucose from 120-123, so far.

My question: Am I eventually going to be a Type 1? I don't want to take insulin.

Answer:

Hashimoto's thyroiditis is associated with Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes. It would lead one to wonder if you might have slowly evolving Type 1 diabetes, rather than typical Type 2 diabetes, and will eventually need insulin therapy.

If thyroid antibodies have been positive, as is common with Hashimoto's, it might be worthwhile to also check for antibodies for diabetes. If they were checked, and are positive, you've got Type 1 diabetes.

(And, by the way, taking insulin isn't as bad as having uncontrolled diabetes.)

WWQ