Question:

From Austin, Texas, USA:

My 20 year-old best friend just called me and told me she is pregnant. She has been taking insulin 3 times daily for about 4 or 5 years now and it still doesn't seem to be entirely in check. She reported "almost blacking out" just last week. She is scared and is unsure if I would be smart to have a child at this time in her life. What are the risks to her and the baby?

Answer:

The most important action your friend should take at this time is to obtain medical care from an obstetrician who is skilled in managing diabetic pregnant mothers or one who works closely with an internist/endocrinologist who does the same. I am concerned that your friend is having hypoglycemic events which needs to be remedied as soon as possible.

With appropriate care, the risks of diabetes on pregnancy can be minimized.

[Editor's comment: And she should be seen immediately if she hasn't seen specialists yet! WWQ]