Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Sep 1997

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Dec 15 | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. A friend of mine has a child who was born and developed normally to about 10 weeks. At this point significant problems such as seizures, vomiting, etc., started and hyperinsulinemia was not diagnosed until a further 10 weeks. Where can they find authoritative information on children with this problem? (28 Sep 97)

2. My 10 year old daughter was diagnosed at age 4. What effect will puberty have on her diabetes? Will puberty and early teen years be any different for her than other girls her age? Will there be any problems I should watch for? (28 Sep 97)

3. I have been a Type 1 diabetic for 19 years. I am now 31 years old and I have a weight problem. No matter what I do I can not lose weight. What can I do short of not eating to lose weight? I already eat right, exercise and take my medicine properly. (28 Sep 97)

4. I am 4 1/2 months pregnant and losing my mind. I can't keep my sugars under control for anything and I am looking for any advice at all on the situation. It is so hard to find information that isn't about gestational diabetes. I want to know about Type 1 diabetes and pregnancy. (27 Sep 97)

5. Is there a relation between growth hormone deficiency and diabetes? (27 Sep 97)

6. I was recently diagnosed with diabetes, but my doctor isn't actually sure if I am Type 1 or 2. For one thing, I do not take insulin. I control my sugars with diet, exercise, herbs, and a sulfonylurea medication. I'm 26 and in excellent health (active, not overweight in the least) so isn't it more likely that I am Type 1? (27 Sep 97)

7. I have a 9 year old son that does not gain weight at the pace that his friends do. I checked his sugar level with a finger prick system that a diabetic friend has. His sugar level was 169. I called his pediatrician and the nurse indicated no urgency. Should I take him to another doctor or should I calm down? (27 Sep 97)

8. Our 9 year old daughter is heavily involved in gymnastics. She works out 16 hours a week and we are having a hard time regulating her sugars. We lower her insulin before she goes and she eats while she is there, but every once in a while she still is coming out very low. (27 Sep 97)

9. I'm a 26 year old male who has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes for 13 years. My insulin doses for a number of years have been 15 units of Ultralente and 10 units (plus or minus) of Regular at breakfast and dinner, and a dose of 10 R (plus or minus) at lunch. The doctor found it odd that I would take that much Ultralente per day. (27 Sep 97)

10. I am a 32 year-old diabetic, Type 1, and on 3 shots daily. I have a history of bulimia. I have a hard time dealing with taking my shots regularly, because every time I do I seem to gain weight. I notice when I stop taking my insulin I can lose the weight I gained. Do all diabetics on insulin injections gain weight? (26 Sep 97)

11. Reports from Sweden and US (rat studies) seem to indicate that C-peptide and insulin reduce vascular and neural dysfunction in diabetics. Is this combination being used anywhere regularly or in clinical studies anywhere, and if so, where? (26 Sep 97)

12. My daughter is 9 years old and has had diabetes for 2 years. Every night she cries with aching legs, whether she has exercised or not. What can I do to help her? Her blood sugar levels are in the 'well managed' area as far as the hospital is concerned. We rub her legs and it doesn't seem to help. (26 Sep 97)

13. I was 23 years old when I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Now I am 25 years old and my husband and I are thinking of having a child. Will diabetes reduce sexual activity? What method of birth control will be the best for planning my family? (26 Sep 97)

14. Is there any documentation on the use of antioxidants to improve diabetic blood sugar control and delay or prevent diabetic complications? (26 Sep 97)

15. I am a school social worker at a middle school where I will be conducting a support group for 6th, 7th and 8th graders who are experiencing chronic health concerns. Currently, all eight members are insulin dependent diabetics. Can somebody offer me suggestions of things to include for topics? (26 Sep 97)

16. My daughter, 12 years old, was diagnosed at age 3 as Type 1. She has always used human insulins and has a problem with fat atrophy around injection sites. Have you had any experience with this, and any suggestions on what to do to prevent it? (26 Sep 97)

17. I am 20 years old and a Type 1 diabetic for the last 6 years. I am 4 1/2 months pregnant and they keep talking about putting me on the insulin pump to try to keep my blood sugars under control. (26 Sep 97)

18. Hello, I am 8 years old and have had Type 1 diabetes for several months. In the beginning I received 15 units of NPH in the morning and 6 units in the night (pork insulin U-40). Now I take 5 units in the morning and none at night. Is there a possibility that I am recovering? Is there a treatment to help me at this time? (22 Sep 97)

19. My son is 24 and has been a diabetic for 15 years and has had diabetic coma attacks in the past. For the last 2 weeks his breath has had a garlic odor, and I was wondering if this is a symptom of low or high blood sugar level. (22 Sep 97)

20. I have recently started to use Humalog. Since it acts fast, I have problems in covering foods which absorb slowly, such as beans. What can I do to maintain better control? (22 Sep 97)

21. My son was diagnosed with IDDM a little over a year ago. He was almost 4 years old. He just started kindergarten and his first day at noon the fingerstick was 412. He had never been over 300. The second day he was 349. His behavior is uncooperative, inattentive, and he just won't listen. Would these hyperglycemic periods cause this? (22 Sep 97)

22. My 13 year old daughter recently had an episode at school volleyball practice that I think may have been hypoglycemia. She became groggy, disoriented and uncoordinated, and the coach, thinking she was high on drugs, yelled at her and made her go home. Does this warrant testing for diabetes? (22 Sep 97)

23. We are planing to invite our Godchild from Germany to visit us. He is 10 years old and has Type 1 diabetes. How will we deal with the time difference (6 hours) regarding injections? In case of an emergency, how well prepared are airlines for diabetes? (21 Sep 97)

24. My wife and I have some real good friends with a 6 year old daughter that has diabetes. The mother is in real need of a support group. Can you let me know where she can turn? She feels like she is going through this alone. (21 Sep 97)

25. I was told that honey and corn syrup should never be used for infants less than one year of age, because of the risk of botulism from those products in infants. Is this true? (21 Sep 97)

26. My 11 year-old son has had diabetes for 6 years. About 2 years ago, he started having low blood sugars nearly every night. He would eat every 2 hours but his blood sugar wouldn't rise much. He had several insulin reactions. He even went for up to 4 days without insulin and still have an insulin reaction. (21 Sep 97)

27. I read a book that says to "avoid insulins that contain protamine." He lists NPH as containing Protamine. I am a Type 1 diabetic (31 years since onset). I have been using NPH for as long as I can remember. Should I consider switching to Lente? (21 Sep 97)

28. Recently we started using Ultralente insulin for our 7 year old Type 1 son. The doctor suggested that we use a 28 gauge needle when using "U" since the molecule is much larger the "N" or "R" that we also use. When I tell other people this they act like I'm nuts. Is there any evidence to support the use of 28 gauge needles for Ultralente insulin? (21 Sep 97)

29. I love to drink Diet Pepsi and Diet Rite Cola. I am over weight very much and I drink a lot of these sodas. But my blood sugar increases when I drink a lot of these. Can they cause this even though they are diet drinks? (21 Sep 97)

30. After reading the symptoms of mild and moderate hypoglycemia, I noticed several symptoms my four year old exhibits during her frequent bouts of throwing up, high fever, shakiness and rapid heart and respiration. This is an unexplained 'flu' that no one else in the house seems to get. (21 Sep 97)

31. My friend's son has Type 1 diabetes. His blood sugar was at approximately 480 for about three days, then bottomed out at school at 42 then rose back up again. He was having seizures at 3 A.M. She says it seems like "antibodies." (21 Sep 97)

32. Should young children with diabetes get a dose of pneumonia vaccine when they receive their annual flu shot in October? (20 Sep 97)

33. I have heard that there is a company in a nearby city that has had very positive results on a non-invasive glucose monitor. If these are the initial results, how long will it be before this product is available to the public? (14 Sep 97)

34. I am a 16 year old diabetic who has not yet menstruated without the aid of Clomid. I am very diligent in the care of my diabetes keeping my blood sugar within normal ranges. I exercise regularly and do watch what I eat. (14 Sep 97)

35. My 22 month old granddaughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at the age of 13 months. She takes insulin twice a day and we check her blood sugar at least four times a day. We are concerned about dark circles under her eyes. Is this anything to be concerned about? (14 Sep 97)

36. I have Type 1 diabetes and recently gave birth to a child. The medical team failed to test his blood sugars until about an hour and a half after birth. He had already fallen to "below 20". Could this extreme low have caused brain damage?. (14 Sep 97)

37. A friend recently brought an herb back from Brazil - called Lobeira there and perhaps going by "Nopalxochia macdougalli" here - that is being used in Type 1 diabetes to regulate blood sugar levels. Do you have any information about this product? (14 Sep 97)

38. I need more information on "demyelination" disease. I have a family member with multiple sclerosis and diabetes and would like to know more on the subject. (14 Sep 97)

39. I have a 5 year old daughter with Type 1 diabetes who has been in school for almost 3 weeks now. The teachers have been great up until today. Now they are claiming that they must have someone who is "trained" in order to check her sugar. (14 Sep 97)

40. Our 8-year-old daughter was diagnosed 3 months ago. Three months ago she started waking up quite often about 1-2 hours after falling asleep. Knowing that nightmares are associated with hypoglycaemia, we checked her sugar level, only to discover that it is always high. (14 Sep 97)

41. Our 22 year old daughter has had Type 1 diabetes for 10 years. She has now been diagnosed with hearing loss due to neurological deterioration. Can you give us any guidance on what to do to prevent further hearing loss and what kind of doctor deals with this problem? (14 Sep 97)

42. My daughter is 20 months old. She was diagnosed with IDDM when she was 2 1/5 months. We are thinking about taking her to day care. Is there a special day care center for her? If not, can you give suggestions on what to look for in a day care center? (12 Sep 97)

43. I'm a school nurse who has been asked for help for a first grade teacher who has a student newly-diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. The teacher is concerned about what to tell his classmates. (12 Sep 97)

44. My eight year old son has Type 1 diabetes. We try and keep his sugar between 80 and 180. When we test him after a meal (30 minutes or longer) his sugar is elevated over 200. What kind of glucose levels can we expect after a meal? (9 Sep 97)

45. Is there a reliable portable insulin refrigeration unit on the market? I'll be on the road, in a car, in motels (unprepared to deal with diabetics), for 2 months. (9 Sep 97)

46. My 4 year old daughter has had Type 1 diabetes for 2 years. Leading up to diagnosis and ever since then she has suffered from constipation. The medical team state this is unconnected. Is this a known complication of diabetes in some instances? (9 Sep 97)

47. I have a 10 year old daughter that was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with Type 1 diabetes. She has recently started to lose her hair by the handfuls. Is this common when just starting with insulin? (9 Sep 97)

48. My 62 year old father-in-law has diabetes. He is a farmer and chews loose leaf tobacco. He puts in a "pinch" and swallows the juice. We think that because tobacco is flavored with molasses, he is swallowing a lot of sugar. Please let me know if you think this could dramatically affect his blood-sugar level. (9 Sep 97)

49. I am 27 year old Type 1 diabetic. I recently reduced my daily insulin dosage from a total of 50 units to 33 by cutting down on the starches in my diet. I did this to stabilize my blood sugars, but I also thought that I would lose some weight, but have not. Any clue as to why I haven't lost weight? (9 Sep 97)

50. I was originally diagnosed as Type 2 and on medication (2 years ago, age 31). Now they say I'm Type 1 and on 3 injections per day of Humalog and Ultralente. Are there any positive effects on starting a low carb diet? (9 Sep 97)

51. A year ago, our 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes as a result of a glucose tolerance test. However, the GAD antibodies came back negative. She was on decreasing levels of insulin from a year ago to a month later and has not needed it since. We are currently seeking a second opinion. (9 Sep 97)

52. I used to have a meter and I was very happy with it. Now I have another meter because the other one got stolen. I've been having some troubles with it. Should I stick with this new meter or get another one of the meters I used before? (9 Sep 97)

53. What is the typical age at which a child can give himself blood tests, give himself pre-loaded insulin shots, and prepare the hypodermic syringe with two kinds of insulin? (9 Sep 97)

54. We asked our doctor about why we hadn't received the results of the insulin antibody test and we were told that the results aren't necessary because the blood test was taken after insulin injections were started. Once injections are started we were told that the results would be 100% positive? Do you agree? (7 Sep 97)

55. My maternal grandfather had juvenile diabetes, and my niece (daughter of my sister) developed juvenile diabetes at age 11 (she's now 18). My son is 8 and my daughter is 4. Is there an increased likelihood that either of my children will develop Type 1 diabetes? (7 Sep 97)

56. I've heard about non-invasive methods of blood glucose monitoring. Are there any devices to market yet? If so, where can I get one? If not, are they scheduled to go to market at any time soon? (7 Sep 97)

57. Our 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about a year and a half ago. She will be entering kindergarten this Fall. She is a picky eater, and we are looking for some lunch ideas. She doesn't like sandwiches. (7 Sep 97)

58. My 3 year old son was diagnosed by a pediatric gastroenterologist with sugar intolerance about 2 years ago. The physician said to take him off of all sugars, including natural sugars found in foods. I was wondering if you could direct me to a resource for foods low in all types of sugar. (7 Sep 97)

59. I have seen some articles on Chromium Picolinate and how it helps Type 2 diabetics use insulin and obtain better A1Cs. Is there any speculation, research or proof that it helps Type 1 diabetics? (7 Sep 97)

60. I always check in the "What's New" page. One of the sites featured was about checking to see if your child's doctor was board certified. I checked, and to my surprise, she wasn't! Should I be concerned? She was certified as a pediatrician but not as a pediatric endocrinologist. (7 Sep 97)

61. Our 12 year old daughter was diagnosed 8 months ago with Type 1 diabetes. Her first A1c was 5.8. However she is complaining of being cold a lot of the time. While we are in shorts, she is putting a sweatshirt on. Should we be concerned? (3 Sep 97, updated 7 Sep 97)

62. I was told that I have diabetic diarrhea. Is there any information on this? (3 Sep 97)

63. My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 9 months ago. She recently had an appointment with her endocrinologist who said he is so busy he would only be able to see her every six months. Shouldn't she be seen every 3 months? (3 Sep 97)

64. I am looking for information on normative levels of fasting insulin for children, teens, and young adults (ages 8 to 20) for data screening purposes. (3 Sep 97)

65. My daughter has never had a severe hypoglycemic reaction until recently while camping. She was having seizures and was not conscious. I administered half a vial of glucagon. I was terrified that she might die. If I didn't have glucagon with me, could she have died? (3 Sep 97)

66. I have been following the bulletin board on The Islet Foundation website with regard to the successes concerning the development of a bioartificial pancreas. It sounds too good to be true. I would appreciate an independent opinion. (1 Sep 97)

67. My cousin is a 15 year old male who was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes almost 6 years ago. A few weeks ago he was diagnosed manic depressive and has been put on Prozac. Is that safe? (1 Sep 97)

68. I am a 29 year old female and have been diabetic 24 years. I gave birth to a perfect daughter six and a half years ago and would like to become pregnant again. However, I have begun medication for mild neuropathy in my feet. The only thing I am really concerned with is how pregnancy will affect the neuropathy. (1 Sep 97)

69. Is it normal for a 8 year old to be aggressive toward other children at school if their blood sugar levels are down? (1 Sep 97)

70. I have read that certain vitamin supplements could be of use in controlling Type 1 diabetes. Do you know what vitamins and the doses might be? (1 Sep 97)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts