From Huntington Beach, California, USA:

I have read that certain vitamin supplements could be of use in controlling Type 1 diabetes (I am an adult). Do you know what vitamins and the doses might be?

My advice to you would be to eat a healthy and well-balanced diet and take the best care of your diabetes as you can given the tools we have. The experts in nutrition that I have talked to have said that a person who eats well would not need any dietary supplements. However, meet with a registered dietitian to go over your food intake to make sure there are no deficiencies. If you wanted to take a multivitamin talk to your health care team but there is probably no harm in it.

When reading about the possible benefits of dietary supplements, consider the source of the information. Is the person trying to make a profit by selling you something? Has the product been studied by scientists who are well respected and neutral (that is, not affiliated with the manufacture of the product)?

I am sure that we have a lot to learn about the role of food and diabetes, but at this time I don't know of a supplement will help you achieve better control of your diabetes.

[Editor's comment: There are very few situations where vitamin supplementation has been well-established to be of help: pregnancy, very stringent weight-loss diets, alcoholism, and rare vitamin deficiency situations. Diabetes isn't on the list. WWQ]