Question:

From Utah, USA:

I am a 29 year old female and have been diabetic 24 years. I have been very healthy with no complications until recently. I gave birth to a perfect 7 lb 11 oz daughter six and a half years ago and would like to become pregnant again. However, I have begun medication (amitriptyline) for mild neuropathy in my feet. My kidneys, eyes and heart are all in perfect working order. I have read of the possible effects of this drug on a growing baby and am undaunted by them. The only thing I am really concerned with is how pregnancy will affect the neuropathy. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Answer:

There is not a lot of literature on diabetic peripheral neuropathy in pregnancy because this is an unusual finding in diabetics of reproductive age. Nevertheless I have come across one study from Pittsburgh (Hemachandra et al, Diabetes Care, July 1995). These authors looked at short-term and long-term complications of diabetes and the association with pregnancy. They reported that there is a short-term risk of worsening neuropathy, but in the long run there is no difference from the usual progression of neuropathy. Your risk may be reduced with tight glucose control during the pregnancy.