Question:

From Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA:

I have recently taken over a project examining the antecedents of coronary artery disease in children and teens. Included in our protocol are measures of fasting glucose and insulin. I am looking for information on normative levels of fasting insulin for children, teens, and young adults (ages 8 to 20) for data screening purposes. I have been unable to find information on insulin for children and was hoping your team might have this info handy, or might know where to find it. We measure fasting insulin via blood draw in uU/mL. Thanks!

Answer:

Normal insulin levels vary somewhat between laboratories and they also vary with the amount of carbohydrate in the diet and of course in relation to meals. In our lab, the normal range for children and teenagers would be 5-40 uU/ml fasting and after 2 weeks on a high carbohydrate diet. (The values we have established for adults are essentially the same, 5-35 uU/ml.)

DO'B