Question:

From Pierre, South Dakota, USA:

My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 9 months ago. She recently had an appointment with her endocrinologist who said that since he is so busy he would only be able to see her now every six months. Shouldn't she be seen every 3 months? I thought that was the recommendation of the American Diabetes Association. And if that is the case, should we try to find a new endocrinologist?

My only problem with that is that from what I know there are only two pediatric endocrinologists in our state. This one comes to our town every 3 months. I want to do what is best for my daughter. I don't want to sacrifice her health, so if I need to go out-of-state I will.

Answer:

Most newly diagnosed growing children need to be seen frequently in the first year or two after diagnosis, preferably by a pediatric endocrinologist experienced in the management of children and adolescents (insulin and food needs change frequently during at this age). If there is no pediatric endocrinologist nearby, this may not be possible.

If you are able to travel for a consultation to a pediatric endocrinologist out of state, you may be able to work out a plan for you to fax or E-mail information about your child's control so they can make recommendations in between visits once or twice a year. A pediatric endocrinologist may also be willing to work with a local adult endocrinologist and/or your pediatrician. It is also important to have a doctor locally familiar with your child whom you can see in an emergency.

I would also look into sending your child to a camp for children with diabetes during the summer. This is a great way to supplement your child's diabetes education (while having fun) and for her to have her diabetes "fine tuned" once a year.