Question:

From Lubbock, Texas, USA:

I was told that I have diabetic diarrhea. Is there any information on this? I would like as much info as I can get. I need information on treatments.

Answer:

Diabetic diarrhea is a term for a form of diabetic neuropathy that affects the lower part of the gut. It occurs after many years of diabetes. It is sometimes associated with intermittent constipation. Other reasons for diarrhea should be sought, and excluded, before making the diagnosis of diabetic diarrhea.

Therapy includes use of prescription medications; talk to your doctor about which medications he/she advises; if your doctor is unsure, a referral to a gut specialist (called a gastroenterologist) would be appropriate.

WWQ