Question:

From South Carolina, USA:

Our 12 year old daughter was diagnosed 8 months ago with Type 1 diabetes. She has adapted well and is maintaining good control. Her first A1c was 5.8. However she is complaining of being cold a lot of the time. While we are in shorts, she is putting a sweatshirt on. She also is complaining of headaches a lot, mostly in the afternoon. She never had these complaints before. Should we be concerned, and can you share any suggestions?

Answer:

Without knowing details of the method used I cannot be sure what an A1c of 5.8% means; but for this stage in her diabetes it sounds quite low. I would suspect therefore that your daughter's headaches and feeling cold are a symptom of hypoglycemia and you should do some tests for this, remembering that these symptoms may come on some time after the low point in the blood sugar. If the symptoms are relieved by half a glass of orange juice that will confirm the diagnosis. Be sure to talk to your doctor about any changes in the insulin dose and also if this simple approach does not solve the problem.

If the above suggestion does not help, you should ask your daughter's doctor about getting a TSH test for hypothyroidism.

DO'B

Additional Comments from Linda Mackowiak, diabetes nurse specialist:

I would also ask your daughter's doctor to check a TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) blood test, if this has not yet been done. Autoimmune thyroid problems are more common in people with diabetes and could possibly explain her feeling cold in the hot summer.

LM

Additional comment added 7 Sep 97
Revised 14 Sep 97