I have seen some articles on Chromium Picolinate and how it helps Type 2 diabetics use insulin and obtain better A1Cs. Is there any speculation, research or proof that it helps Type 1 diabetics?

Some years ago, chromium in the form of brewer's yeast was fashionable as an adjunct to insulin in the management of Type 1 Diabetes. There was no convincing evidence that it had any effect on glucose tolerance. The same has been true of chromium picolinate. So far as I know there have been no studies of the use of this substance in the management of obesity or depression or hyperlipidemia, conditions that may co-exist with Type 1 Diabetes and which have shown some response to chromium in Type 2 Diabetes. There is an ongoing trial of chromium picolinate together with many other trace dietary factors to see if they have any effect on the long term development of microvascular complications. There has been one report of kidney damage from 'over the counter' chromium supplements.