Question:

From Worthington, Kentucky, USA:

Our 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about a year and a half ago. She will be entering kindergarten this Fall. She is a picky eater, and we are looking for some lunch ideas. She doesn't like sandwiches.

Answer:

If possible, she should continue to eat the same types of lunch food she ate before developing diabetes. I would ask your physician for a referral to a dietitian experienced in working with young children with diabetes. You shouldn't worry so much about her eating "healthy food" with vitamins and minerals at lunch. More important is to try and have her eat the same amount carbohydrate and protein every day for lunch.

You must work out a plan with the teacher what to do if she refuses to eat in school. If she refuses to eat anything (including milk, NiteBite Snack Bars, Zbar Snack Bars, peanut butter or cheese crackers, or cookies), you may have to be available to either pick her up or come to school to sit with her in the nurse's office and test her blood sugar every half hour to make sure it doesn't go low until she eats. This should not be viewed as a "punishment." On the contrary, she must understand that because you love her, you can not allow her to do anything that might make her sick (not eat and develop a low blood sugar). Of course you must also make sure that she doesn't refuse to eat to get you to come to school every day to be with her.

I would make sure to speak with the child's teacher to see if she has any suggestions.

[Editor's comment: I highly recommend the new book Brown Bag Success: Making Healthy Lunches Your Kids Won't Trade. You will find many non-sandwich suggestions for healthy lunches. JSH]