From Raleigh, North Carolina, USA:

My maternal grandfather had juvenile diabetes, and my niece (daughter of my sister) developed juvenile diabetes at age 11 (she's now 18). My son is 8 and my daughter is 4. Is there an increased likelihood that either of my children will develop Type 1 diabetes?

I would think that the fact that your niece and your grandfather both have Type 1 Diabetes represents a more than random allocation of the predisposing genes. However reliable estimates of risk are only available for first degree relatives (i.e. children, siblings and parents). In the normal Caucasian population in the U.S., the risk is around 12/100,000/year so even if it is a little higher it is still going to be low.

If you were really concerned about this risk, you could talk to your doctor about getting genetic testing and antibody testing done.

[Editor's comment: Also, see The Risk of Developing Type 1 Diabetes and previous Genetics and Heredity questions. WWQ]