Question:

From North Carolina, USA:

I am 27 year old Type 1 diabetic. I have been diagnosed since I was 13. I recently reduced my daily insulin dosage from a total of 50 units to 33 by cutting down on the starches in my diet. I did this to stabilize my blood sugars and it has worked, but I also thought that I would lose some weight, but have not. I only eat low-fat proteins (no meat) and vegetables - few fruits. Any clue as to why I haven't lost weight?

Answer:

The answer to your question may very well surprise you. You cut back on starches to lower your insulin dose and that's great! You now have to concentrate on the amount of total calories you take in on a daily basis. Just because you cut back on starches does not mean that you cut back on total amount of calories you take in on a daily basis. You may want to keep a food diary and then sit down with a dietitian and figure out your daily caloric intake as well as your daily energy requirements. This may help you to better understand why you have not been able to lose the weight you thought you would.

PL