Question:

From Illinois, USA:

Our 22 year old daughter has had Type 1 diabetes for 10 years. She has now been diagnosed with hearing loss due to neurological deterioration. I saw in questions that zinc might help. I am her mother and am not aware of any Type 1 diabetes on my side.

Can you give us any guidance on what to do to prevent further hearing loss and what kind of doctor deals with this problem?

Answer:

Hearing loss may be unrelated to diabetes and your daughter should certainly see a otolaryngologist and be properly evaluated. They would also be able to give you more appropriate information about management.

Additional Comment from Dr. Lebinger:

There is a rare syndrome where individuals have a combination of insulin dependent diabetes mellitus, diabetes insipidus, sensorineural hearing loss and optic atrophy (Wolfram syndrome). I would make sure your daughter does not have this syndrome.

And another comment, from Linda Mackowiak, diabetes nurse specialist:

The syndrome is also called DIDMOAD, because includes Diabetes Insipidus, Diabetes Mellitus, Optic Atrophy, and Deafness. It is not very common, and is an autosomal recessive syndrome.

LM

[Editor's comment: I cannot recall ever seeing anyone with hearing loss that could be attributed to the diabetes. WWQ]

Updated 18 Sep 97