From Illinois, USA:

Our 22 year old daughter has had Type 1 diabetes for 10 years. She has now been diagnosed with hearing loss due to neurological deterioration. I saw in questions that zinc might help. I am her mother and am not aware of any Type 1 diabetes on my side.

Can you give us any guidance on what to do to prevent further hearing loss and what kind of doctor deals with this problem?

Hearing loss may be unrelated to diabetes and your daughter should certainly see a otolaryngologist and be properly evaluated. They would also be able to give you more appropriate information about management.

Additional Comment from Dr. Lebinger:

There is a rare syndrome where individuals have a combination of insulin dependent diabetes mellitus, diabetes insipidus, sensorineural hearing loss and optic atrophy (Wolfram syndrome). I would make sure your daughter does not have this syndrome.

And another comment, from Linda Mackowiak, diabetes nurse specialist:

The syndrome is also called DIDMOAD, because includes Diabetes Insipidus, Diabetes Mellitus, Optic Atrophy, and Deafness. It is not very common, and is an autosomal recessive syndrome.

[Editor's comment: I cannot recall ever seeing anyone with hearing loss that could be attributed to the diabetes. WWQ]

Updated 18 Sep 97