From New Jersey, USA:

I have Type 1 diabetes and recently gave birth to a child. The medical team failed to test his blood sugars until about an hour and a half after birth. He had already fallen to "below 20". They told us he did not have a seizure and that everything is fine but we are still quite concerned. Could this extreme low have caused brain damage? He appears to be developing normally. He is 3 months old.

I would only be speculating as to why your baby's low blood sugar was not detected sooner; I think that it would be best to address this to the pediatricians present at the delivery and in the NICU Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).

If if is of any reassurance, a transient low blood sugar will probably not have any long term effect on your baby.