Question:

I am a 16 year old diabetic who has not yet menstruated without the aid of Clomid [a medication that affects hormone production]. My doctor put me on the Clomid for three consecutive months in which I did menstruate. However, now I am entering the 4th month in which I am not taking any medication and thus far (almost five weeks) nothing happened. Please note, I was sent for a sonogram and it was determined that all was in order, "eggs" and all. Please be further advised that I am very diligent in the care of my diabetes keeping my blood sugar within normal ranges. I exercise regularly and do watch what I eat.

Answer:

There are many causes of delay in the onset of menstruation. Doing a workup by e-mail is impossible. However, diabetes in good control should not delay puberty.

If you are not showing other signs of puberty such as breast and pubic hair development, then that is concerning and evaluation by an endocrinologist is warranted.