Question:

I love to drink Diet Pepsi and Diet Rite Cola. I am over weight very much and I drink a lot of these sodas. But my blood sugar increases when I drink a lot of these. Can they cause this even though they are diet drinks?

Answer:

Answer from Betty Brackenridge, Registered Dietitian:

My best guess would be that this is a coincidence, and that the sugar is going up at these times for other reasons, such as hepatic glucose output (secondary to medication effects) or delayed absorption of high fat foods eaten earlier in the day (e.g., pizza can make the glucose rise five to eight hours after it's eaten).

BB

Answer from Linda Mackowiak, diabetes nurse specialist:

Depending on the amount you are drinking, it is possible that the caffeine content of the beverages is contributing to your elevated blood glucose levels (by way of increasing "stress hormone" levels, that can raise the blood glucose).

LM