From Sioux City, Iowa, USA:

Recently we started using Ultralente insulin for our 7 year old Type 1 son. The doctor suggested that we use a 28 gauge needle when using "U" since the molecule is much larger the "N" or "R" that we also use. When I tell other people this they act like I'm nuts. Is there any evidence to support the use of 28 gauge needles for Ultralente insulin?

Answer from Dr. Lebinger:

I've never had problems with Ultralente and 29 gauge or 30 gauge needles and I use a lot of Ultralente in my practice.

Answer from Linda Mackowiak, diabetes nurse specialist:

As long as the insulin is mixed well there is no problem with using Ultralente with the 30 gauge needle as well!

Additional Comment from Dr. Robertson:

I have been told by Novo Nordisk that the reason Ultratard is not available in cartridges for pens is because of the increased viscosity of the solution leading to problems with the pen mechanism. This makes more sense than a molecular size explanation.