Question:

From Las Vegas, Nevada, USA:

My wife and I have some real good friends with a 6 year old daughter that has diabetes. The mother is in real need of a support group. Can you let me know where she can turn? She feels like she is going through this alone. She is really good with the medical end, but needs to discuss her thoughts with some people going through it and some experts.

Answer:

I would suggest calling the nearest affiliate of the American Diabetes Association and find out if there are any support groups in the area. Also talk to the nearest center for pediatric diabetes, as they may have information as well. If there is no existing group, see if she can get together with another family in her area. Who knows, they may start their own group!

Getting together with other families who have children with diabetes is extremely important.

LM

[Editor's comment: You can also search our Family Support Network or visit the Parents Chat Room, which is busy almost every night. JSH]

Updated January 16, 2006