Question:

From Buffalo, New York, USA:

My son was diagnosed with IDDM a little over a year ago. He was almost 4 years old. He has been in excellent control. He just started kindergarten and his first day at noon the fingerstick was 412. He had never been over 300. The second day he was 349, at noon. His behavior is uncooperative, inattentive, and he just won't listen. This is not his usual self. Would these hyperglycemic periods cause this? Or could this be a behavior problem? I am worried.

Answer:

Many young children have temporary behavior changes when they start kindergarten that is unrelated to diabetes. I have also seen many young children who become irritable when their blood sugar is high. If the blood sugars do not improve, I would check the snacks at school to make sure he is not eating more than you think. If this is not the case, speak to your child's physician about adjusting the child's insulin to improve the blood sugar.

[Editor's comment: Be sure to read Diabetes at School. JSH]