From Buenos Aires, Argentina:

Hello, I am 8 years old and have had Type 1 diabetes for several months. In the beginning I received 15 units of NPH in the morning and 6 units in the night (pork insulin U-40). Now I take 5 units in the morning and none at night. Is there a possibility that I am recovering? Is there a treatment to help me at this time?

It is very probably you are entering the classical honeymoon (remission) period. This term refers to decreased insulin requirements shortly after starting insulin therapy in most cases of Type 1 diabetes mellitus. In these cases there is some temporary restoration of insulin production and the blood sugar improves to normal or near normal levels. Unfortunately, there is a great variability in its duration and generally in kids like you it lasts not longer than few months. This variability is understandable if you consider how long it normally take for the immune system to destroy beta cells of the pancreas (that produce insulin) to reach the stage of clinical diabetes. This means that you are not recovering and the best way to possibly extend your honeymoon period is by keeping very good control of your diabetes and continuing insulin therapy, even at very small doses.