From Tlalnepantla, Estado de Mexico, Mexico:

I was 23 years old when I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Now I am 25 years old and my husband and I are thinking of having a child. During the last year I have had many problems with high blood sugars. My questions are basically the following: Will diabetes reduce sexual activity? What method of birth control will be the best for planning my family? If the probability of my child getting diabetes is 5-10% then what can I do to reduce this risk or at least maintain the risk in this range? Is there another treatment that can take the place of insulin?

I will answer your questions in order.

1. A few years of diabetes should not have any effect on sexual activity.
  2. The type of birth control you use depends on several factors. If you are not planning on having children within the next 6 to 12 months, then oral contraceptive pills would be fine. If you are planning on having children soon, then a barrier method such as condoms or a diaphragm would be best since these have no effect on ovulation.
  3. I am not aware of anything you can do during the pregnancy to reduce the risk of your children developing diabetes.
  4. At the moment, a good diet, exercise and especially insulin are necessary to control diabetes.