From Brisbane, Australia:

My daughter is 9 years old and has had diabetes for 2 years. Every night she cries with aching legs, whether she has exercised or not. What can I do to help her? Her blood sugar levels are in the 'well managed' area as far as the hospital is concerned. We rub her legs and it doesn't seem to help.

I truly believe that your daughter having diabetes is not the culprit. Two possibilities that come to mind:

1. The possibility of growing pains. They are common in children. Why do children get them and what causes them? We really do not know.
  2. The possibility of your daughter being dehydrated. Make sure that she drinks plenty of fluid. If an individual is not well hydrated a loss of electrolytes can occur. This can cause cramps in ones legs.

One more suggestion: Stretching out her legs in the evening before she goes to bed may be of some help. Encourage your daughter to stretch out her thighs (the muscles in the upper front of the legs), the hamstrings (the muscles in the upper back of the legs as well as the calves (the muscles in the lower backs of the legs).