Question:

From Virginia, USA:

My 10 year old daughter was diagnosed at age 4. What effect will puberty have on her diabetes? I can't find any information on this subject. Will puberty and early teen years be any different for her than other girls her age? Will there be any problems I should watch for?

Answer:

The biggest culprit during puberty are the different hormones your daughter's body will produce. How will these hormones affect her diabetes? They will actually cause the insulin she takes to work less effectively and blood glucose levels will actually rise. During rapid growth your daughter may need to eat more food and take more insulin. Because of this she may need to do more blood glucose testing and documentation. You may also need to be in touch with her diabetes educator and/or physician more often for guidance.

Diabetes won't hold back your daughter's growth and development unless she doesn't have enough insulin during her growing years. Her body will need insulin to feed the cells so she can grow and mature.

PL