Question:

I'm a 33 year old male with diabetes. My condition was first diagnosed by a general practitioner when I was 21. I have been managing my diabetes with insulin therapy for about 12 years. I have been seeing a specialist for about a year now. She is highly respected in the area for being the "best."

During my last visit, she informed me that she has classified me as a Type 2 diabetic, and would like to start me on Rezulin. This came as quite a shock to me and I feel apprehensive about trying it. She said that mis-diagnosis has been more prevalent in the past few years and she was pretty sure of her diagnosis. She spoke of many patients of hers that believed the same way as me and she was right about them. Is there anywhere I can surf to find out more about this, or is there anyone I can contact that has lived this experience?

Answer:

Several thoughts:

1. Post your question at the CWD Forums.
  2. Rezulin is being considered for Type 1 patients with massive insulin doses (over 100 units) as it's assumed these folks are insulin resistant and might benefit from an "insulin sensitizer."
  3. Type 1 and 2 are difficult to distinguish in retrospect. The antibodies associated with Type 1 diabetes are inconsistent, and may fade out after many years of diabetes. The best factor, I think, is whether you were skinny and underweight (Type 1) or overweight (Type 2) at the time of your diagnosis.
  4. If your doc has a free supply of a month or two of Rezulin, it's probably worth a try: I'm trying it in some of my young adults with uncertain Type diabetes.

WWQ