Question:

I am trying to find a peanut butter substitute for cookies. Any help would be appreciated.

Answer:

Your question did not indicate if you were trying to reduce the fat content of your recipe or eliminate the peanuts from the recipe, so I will address both issues.

There are jar nut butters, such as almond or cashew, available in health food stores and some grocery stores. These butters may also be ground at home using a blender. Some stores have the nuts available and the machines to grind your own as well. These butters would substitute for the same measure of peanut butter. Most of the nut butters are similar in protein, carbohydrate and fat (about 15-17 grams of fat / 2 Tablespoons).

If it is the fat you are concerned about, a substitution for part or all of the called for amount of peanut butter may be made with applesauce or one of the jar fat replacements. This would raise the amount of carbohydrate in the product. The nut butter substitution would yield a more "peanut butter cookie" product.

JM

[Editor's Comment: Be sure to check out the recipes within children with DIABETES. You'll find an excellent peanut butter cookie recipe. JSH.]