Question:

From Austin, Texas, USA:

Diabetes runs in my family. Lately I've been showing signs being hypoglycaemic. Signs include nervousness, panicky, confusion, and sweaty. Please advise on a good diet to control this or advise me accurate measures to take for treatment. I'm starting a new job and I won't have insurance for 90 days.

Answer:

I would suggest obtaining a fasting blood sugar. Call the local chapter of the American Diabetes Association and find out if there are any health fairs or places in your area that provide free screenings. November is Diabetes Month and there may be many services open to you. The recommended treatment for low blood sugar or reactive hypoglycemia is to eat frequently, every two to three hours. A balanced diet according the Food Guide Pyramid is advisable with very limited sweets. Fruits should be eaten with other foods containing starch or protein to avoid stimulation of large amounts of insulin. Sweets will cause a surge of insulin to be produced and the blood sugar often plummets, causing the "reaction" that you describe.

Including at least a small amount of protein in each meal and snack will help to keep blood sugars stable. Carbohydrates are found in grains and starchy vegetables such as corn, peas, potatoes and dried beans, fruits, and milk. Milk also contains a good amount of protein. When you feel the symptoms you describe a snack such as fruit juice followed by something starchy would be appropriate. Milk is a good food to treat symptoms with as well.

JM