Question:

From Wisconsin, USA:

My 18 year old son was diagnosed two years ago. He did very well over the first year, but now is sliding considerably in his own care. His waking number is usually around 120, he does only 1 injection/day (10 units of Regular / 30 units of NPH). He has had only one serious low since onset, and overall understands what his body is telling him. My concern is that he will no longer test, his diet is poor at best if he eats at all, he refuses to speak about his diabetes and gets very upset when I even mention the word. If I even ask him if he's eaten, he blows up at me. He seems to be going through a phase of denial. What is your suggestion to me as a mom, since it is very difficult for me to just ignore the long term consequences of such care? My involvement is just driving a wedge between us.

Answer:

There are a few important issues which you brought up.

I share your concern about your son's attitude about his diabetes. It is hard as the parent of a teenager to be able to address this issue fully without appearing as a "nag." I would advise talking privately to your son's health care team and share these concerns. I would recommend meeting with a counselor experienced in the psychosocial stresses of diabetes to help your son get through this difficult time.

My other comment would be that your son, who now has had diabetes for two years, may need a change in his insulin routine to include multiple daily injections. Usually after the honeymoon period of diabetes, once shot of insulin a day would not be adequate to give him round-the-clock control.

LM

[Editor's Comment: I would suggest that both you and your son visit the chat rooms and discuss your concerns with others. JSH]