From Scottsdale, Arizona, USA:

I am 27 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 7 years ago. My husband and I would like to start planning a family next year, but I am worried about the stress I currently face with my job. I work 10-12 hours a day in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented office. I also travel 2-4 times a month all over the country. My question is, how does stress affect diabetes and how will it affect the pregnancy? Should I be considering a less stressful environment?

Stress and busy work schedules probably do have some mild adverse effects on pregnancy such as increasing the risk of pre-term labor, but these are manageable. (I see this all the time when my housestaff become pregnant.) With the stricter requirements of diabetes control during pregnancy, this made add to your level of stress. However, if you recognize this as you go into pregnancy and are willing to make adjustments in your lifestyle if needed then I think you can carry a pregnancy without any additional risks over that of diabetes. In other words, I do not suggest that you quit work, but realize that if you do become pregnant you may have to slow down or possibly take a leave of absence depending on how your pregnancy goes.