Question:

From Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

I am a 30 year old female with Type 1 diabetes; my endocrinologist noticed that I had "hollows" indentations in my upper legs, apparently common in women with diabetes on insulin. She suggested I not inject there and in time it may go away (2 years?). I have never injected insulin in my legs. What causes this? Could it be caused by something else? Can I reverse this physical condition?

Answer:

It may be due to abnormal distribution of the fat cells, commonly known as cellulite. Since you're not injecting in the area, it's not due to the insulin.

Probably it's best not to inject into the abnormal indented areas. There are some over-the-counter (non-prescription) creams that allegedly help; they probably cause no harm (except to your pocketbook).

A dermatologist might be able to advise you better after looking at the area.

SS