From Indiana, USA:

Can you give me any information about Tupelo honey? I have been told that it is safe for diabetics to consume. The literature I received on Tupelo honey says that due to the high levulose, low dextrose ratio some diabetic patients have been permitted by their physicians to eat it. I have a 10 year old Type 1 diabetic and think this is too good to be true.

To my knowledge honey is a mixture of glucose and fructose. It is my understanding that levulose is another form of fructose (it's been a long time since biochemistry!). The bottom line is that honey is a carbohydrate.

The newer system of carbohydrate counting for meal planning makes it simple to incorporate these foods into the meal plan. One tablespoon of honey contains about 15-16 grams of carbohydrate, just as 4 teaspoons of sugar contain 16 grams of carbohydrate. The honey becomes a part of the carbohydrate allowance for the meal or snack.