Question:

From Orlando, Florida, USA:

I recently married a diabetic with type 2. I do not know very much about diabetes, but she has had several low sugar insulin reactions, and does not keep to a basic diet. What can I do to help her stay on a balanced diet to keep her blood sugar safe (she craves sweets instead of healthy foods)? Is there a book or plan I can get with different type foods and drinks that would be good for her?

Answer:

First of all, I think it is great that you want to help and support your wife. Controlling Type 2 diabetes can be quite a challenge since it almost always involves changes in eating habits. Lifestyle changes are much more successful when the family supports the person with diabetes.

There are several resources available for meal planning, but I would encourage you and your wife to find a Registered Dietitian who is experienced in working with people with diabetes to establish an individualized meal plan. Staying on a meal plan is easier if the plan takes into consideration the persons likes and lifestyle.

As for books, the book that first comes to mind is the Exchange Lists for Meal Planning offered by the American Diabetes Association. Another publication from the ADA is Diabetes Meal Planning Made Easy, a book that includes such things as tips for eating out, how to eat more healthy meals following the Food Guide Pyramid and reading labels. Check with your local ADA Affiliate to see if these are available for purchase from them. (The phone number to order from the ADA is 1-800-232-6733.)

JM