Question:

From Blackburn, England:

Our diabetes team in England recommends a testing regimen of only once or twice a day for our 4 year old daughter. From visiting this website, it would seem much more frequent testing goes on in the States. What do you think?

Answer:

Your question has been sent to me since I work in Scotland. What matters is not how often you are told to test but how often you actually do and what you do with the information. For someone with stable diabetes who is well, I recommend 2 to 4 tests per day, depending upon activity. I know of no evidence to suggest that this isn't enough if the readings are used to tailor care. If you only do two tests per day, then vary the times so that, over a week, you get a "ladder" of readings.