From Arkansas, USA:

My nine-year-old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about 7 months ago. One type of insulin he uses is Lente. My husband and I have noticed that about 21 days after opening a new bottle, his blood glucoses become very erratic--usually much higher than what we aim for. We're very careful with the Lente. We refrigerate it until we open the bottle for initial use, check expiration dates, and never take it out of the house unless it's in an insulated carrier. We've learned to replace Humalog every 30 days. Should we replace the bottle of Lente every 21 days?

Usually the Lente should last longer than 21 days as you are storing it. Make sure you are mixing the bottle well each time you draw up a dose. Also make sure your refrigerator is not too cold (thereby freezing the insulin). If your storage is okay and you are mixing it well, then I would replace the insulin every three weeks to maintain even blood sugars.