From America On-Line:

Is there is a home test for diabetes? My girlfriend is concerned that her 10 year old daughter is displaying characteristics of diabetes. She has said that diabetes runs in her family, but that typically it has been adult-onset. If it is not too much trouble, would you please let me know?

You can check blood sugar levels at home, using either a blood glucose meter or a visual strip, getting a drop of blood with a fingerstick. Perhaps a friend with diabetes has a meter your girlfriend could use. A fasting blood sugar of 126 mg/dl or more, or a random blood sugar of 200 mg/dl or more in the presence of symptoms, on two separate occasions, is diagnostic of diabetes. If the blood sugar is elevated using the home methods, a laboratory blood sugar level should be obtained to confirm the result.

However, it is probably just as cost-effective to have the child's primary-care physician do a fasting blood sugar in the doctor's office in the first place.