From Rhode Island, USA:

My 21-year-old niece was recently told she has hypolipidemia (low levels of blood fats). Despite that, she had gone to her doctors because of severe fatigue and dizziness, and they have done no follow-up since the initial blood tests. What should she do next in terms of diagnosis and/or treatment?

You did not mention which lipids (triglycerides, LDL cholesterol, VLDL cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, chylomycrons) were low.

Depending on which lipid(s) were low, disorders to consider are hyperthyroidism, liver disorders, malabsorption, and abetalipoproteinemia.

I suggest your niece discuss with her physician whether further tests need to be done or if she needs referral to a specialist.

[Editor's comment: Hypolipidemia (low levels of blood fats) is a relatively unusual situation, compared to hyperlipidemia (high levels of blood fats). High levels of blood fats are frequently associated with diabetes, especially Type 2 diabetes. WWQ]